
Mr. & Mrs. Atlee Martin
Mr. & Mrs. Atlee Martin on their farm on the western branch of the Nansemond River. Notice the muskrat traps.
Martin family photo


Atlee Martin overlooking Western Branch of Nansemond River from his farm.


Hog killing at Atlee Martin’s - January 1942
Martin family photo


Mary, Earl and Atlee Martin
Martin Family photo

View of Atlee Martin home place from Dudley Saunders place across Western Branch Reservoir.,
L. Rose photo

Atlee Martin Home

Martin’s Store at Everets. Earlier Wagner’s Store

Martin’s Store during a northeaster in 1961 with Alfred Russell home at top of hill.
Kirk family photo

Looking east from the bottom of Saunders/Chambers hill at Everets. This hill made a sharp turn to the right and then climbed steeply. Dangerous for sledding! The Kas Wagner home was located to the left; Wagner’s Store is shown straight ahead. Warehouses at the Everets’ wharf are shown to the left of the store. The two-story building was the Kirk cotton gin located across the bridge.

July 1888 store ledger from Wagner’s Store

Martin’s Store at Everets.

Mr. Atlee Martin, owner of Martin’s store at Everets

Martin’s Store at Everets with Mrs. Mary Martin on porch with a friend.



1907 - Everets Bridge
W.G. Saunders, III with his mother in front of the bridge at Everets.
Notice the gears under the bridge. The key that was used to turn the gears to open the bridge is located in the former Kirk Lumber Co. office.
Saunders’ family photo

The picture was taken in approximately 1914 from a bridge or warehouse on the west side of Everets Creek, which was then the property of T. J. Saunders. Shows J.J. Kirk's warehouse to the left of the boats. The warehouse was used after 1924 as a seed house for cotton seeds from the cotton gin. The Ocean Star was captained and owned by Capt. John Martin of Eclipse. He was the grandfather of Alease N. Hazelwood and Everett Newman. John Martin also owned the Bertha May which loaded at Everets. The Eva W. was owned and operated by Eddie Wagner of Everets. The Mary Ann, sharp at both ends, was owned and operated by Ralph Saunders. Ralph’s boat operated out of Everets from about 1914 to 1925.

Loading melons at Everets wharf.
House in background was built by W. G. Saunders.

Envelope postmarked at Everets, VA 11-3-1892
Miss Mary Lawrence was the niece of Mrs. Margaretta Godwin Kirk. She was attending school in Suffolk.

Stephen and Mary Gayle Saunders - late 1800s
Saunders’ family

The Stephen Saunders' family

Mr. and Mrs. Kea. They lived on Quaker Drive near Prudens. They operated a small store where items for sale were most often in in small paper sacks.



1920s view of bridge at Everets showing warehouse and Wagner’s Store

Kirk House
Kirk house at Everets 1890. Notice the smokestack for the early Kirk Company to the left of the porch. The sawmill was located there before being rebuilt across from Kirk house.
Kirk family photo

Margaretta Godwin Kirk and her husband, John J. Kirk, on their honeymoon trip to see his parents in Pennsylvania in 1875.
Kirk Family photo

Kirk and Lawrence family on front porch of Kirk house at Everets.
John J. Kirk - seated on steps to left
Russell Kirk - young boy - standing
Kirk family photo

Claude , Miss Susie Gilliam*, Mr. Jim Causey, Miss Birdie Crump, Miss Mamie Cook*, Mrs. Elizabeth Kirk Brady - c1897
*Miss Gilliam and Miss Cook were teachers.
Schooner Windfrey was docked at a warehouse in Western Branch Creek at Everets. The picture was taken by William S. Kirk who was visiting from Philadelphia.

Merle Kirk in boat the family used in traveling between Everets and the family’s former home in Port Norfolk.
Kirk Family photo

J. R. Kirk (on left) sawing logs in Kirk Company sawmill - 1930s
Kirk family photo

Kirk Co. office and cotton gin. Gin was located along side Everets Creek. Bridge was to the right of the gin.
Kirk Co. office and cotton gin. Gin was located behind and parallel to Everets Creek.
The office was moved to the later location of Kirk Lumber Company and was still in use in 2025.
Kirk Family photo


Kirk Lumber Company fleet with the mill in the background - 1925
Kirk Lumber Company photo

1926 Everets 900px.png

Kirk Lumber company trucks with JRK

Kirk Lumber Company fleet with the Kirk home in the background. 1925/26
The sawmill was to the fleet's right as shown in this photo.
Kirk Lumber Company photo


Kirk Lumber Company workers - 1934
Kirk Lumber Company photo


Jeff Gibson, Kirk Lumber Company truck driver, with a large load!
Kirk Lumber Company photo


Doughtie loading Kirk Lumber Company with Cat 22 - 1938
Kirk Lumber Co. photo






John Kirk, Celia Wagner, Eloise Morgan, Lynn Kirk at Lynn’s 2nd birthday party, January 1943,
in front of Kirk home at Everets. Doll made by Merle Kirk.
Lynn Rose photo

Kirk and Pretlow family - Christmas 1951
Back row - Joshua Pretlow, J. Stokes Kirk, Merle A. Kirk, Russell Kirk, Dr. Arthur A. Kirk
Kirk family photo taken by Alton Wagner


Mildred Schram Dailey, Lizzie Cotton Schram, Harry H. Schram and Eunice Schram at Minton home place - Everets 1935
Eunice S. Woolford photo

Minton Farm showing tenant house and orchard on left, equipment shelter, storage barn, home in the trees, hip on hip type horse barn, corn crib.

Moving Pretlow house across the highway before the damming of Western Branch Reservoir in 1962 to form lake for Norfolk water supply. Stoney Landing field is in the background and the Stephen Saunders’ home (or outbuilding) can be seen in the distance. The house was taken up the hill in front of the Minton house and then across the field to where it sits in 2024. House was later added to and bricked.

Dr. Arthur A. Kirk - raised at Everets. Born in Port Norfolk.

Arthur and Stokes Kirk following a successful hunting trip at Everets.

Arthur A. Kirk when he graduated from Chuckatuck High School in 1933
Looking across Everets Creek from the Kirk house. Note the cotton gin to the left, the bridge and Wagner’s store in the center. Rufus Martin’s store is to the right. J. R. Kirk later bought and ran the Rufus Martin store.
Kirk family photo

Aerial view of Kirk Lumber Company c1950. Taken before the formation of the Western Branch Reservoir. To the right of the highway, you can see the garden for the Morgan or Worrell family. (I don’t remember who lived there at the time.) The home was beyond the trees and situated across from the Kirk home. The Pretlow home is visible at the top of the picture.
L. Rose

Osmond Lee, Marvin Morrison, Alice Lee and Susie Griffin Underwood at Griffin home near Everets - 1911
Jackie Underwood Saunders photo


View of Everets Creek from the side yard of W. G. Saunders’ home at Everets. Later the home of W. C. Morgan and family.
The two-story building in the background was J. R. Kirk’s cotton gin. The flat-top building was a store operated by and later owned by J. R. Kirk.

Lake Burnt Mills dam looking from spillway to Martin’s Store - c1960
Morgan family photo

Stephen and Sally Martin Saunders in front of their home on the western branch of the Nansemond River near Everets - 1928
Stephen Saunders family photo

Stephen L. and Mary Gayle Saunders
late 1800s
Faye S. Humphrey photo

Stephen Saunders’ family on their farm on the western branch of the Nansemond River near Everets c1910
Faye S. Humphrey's photo

T.J. Saunders' home at Everets
Notice the steep hill! Great for sledding!

TJ Saunders, Jr. and family
Thomas Jefferson Saunders, Jr. and family at Everets home
1918
Mary Saunders Latimer photo





Thomas J. Saunders, III
Mary S. Latimer photo

Students at Everets School
Front - second from left - Evelyn Saunders
far right - Peggy Pruden
Rear - second from left - W.G. Saunders, Jr.
third from left - Pruden ?
One boy was brother to Ruby Edwards Gwaltney and another was thought to be Jacobson Pruden.



Miss Myrtie Powell ( m. Daughtrey)
Dressed for teaching at Everets Bridge School


Everets home of Alfred and Emma Russell from 1948-1986
Original home of Thomas J. Saunders.

Home of Alfred and Emma Russell
Picture taken about 1950
They lived at Everets from 1948-1986 in the original T. J. Saunders home at Everets from 1948-1986.

Horses on Russell’s hill - Everets, VA c1950s
Picture taken from Wagner home
Alton Wagner photo

Horses on Russell’s hill - Everets, VA c1950s
Alton Wagner photo


W. Kasper “Kass” Wagner, Edward “Ed” Wagner, and Robert “Bob” Wagner - All members of the Chuckatuck Masonic Lodge c1950
Wagner family photo







Saunders‘ hillside and road prior to damming of the western branch of the Nansemond River (Everets Creek) in 1962. Taken from Wagner home.




Building of the Lake Burnt Mill dam at Everets c1941.
Alton Wagner photo


Pipe work for Lake Burnt Mill at Everets c1940
A. Wagner photo

Crane building Lake Burnt Mills dam at Everets - c1941.
Alton Wagner photo.


Celia Wagner fishing on a branch of Everets Creek behind her home. Brady house on Kirk Road is in the background. 1950s
Alton Wagner/Celia Coughlin photo

Spillway of Lake Burnt Mill at Everets. Looking towards Morgan’s house - late 1940s
Alton Wagner photo

Lake Burnt Mills spillway before the damming of the western branch of the Nansemond River by Norfolk -
late 1940s
Alton Wagner photo
-.

Looking towards the bridge at Everets (on left) and Wagner’s Store (far right) from the back of the Wagner's home near Lake Burnt Mills dam. c1955
Alton Wagner photo

Looking towards the Everets bridge from the Wagner property. The creek at this time was very narrow and shallow. c1955
Alton Wagner photo

View of dam/road construction at Everets 1962 looking west. Shown at the top left of the picture is the recreation room and home of Alfred and Emma Russell. Martin’s store is below. Bridge building was underway.


Lewis F. Morris and William L. Whitley boating in flood waters of Everets Creek (western branch of the Nansemond River) during a northeaster. Home of Russell and Merle Kirk in the background.
L. Rose photo

Pretlow family - Josh, Betty, Pret, Anne, Kirk and Jennie - 1956

Willie Robinson and J. Stokes Kirk of Kirk Lumber Company planting pine tree # 1,000,001 for reforestation in 1969.
Kirk family photo

Betty Cross Pretlow


Home of Stokes and Margaret Kirk at Everets prior to formation of Western Branch Reservoir in 1962.

erets prior to Western Branch Reservoir formation in 1962.
Home of J. Russell and Merle A. Kirk at Everest before Western Branch Reservoir formation in 1962
Kirk family photo


Kirk Lumber Company

Everets 1961 - Prior to flooding the western branch of the Nansemond River to form Western Branch Reservoir. Notice the bridge supports and Martin's Store prior to its demolition. Alton Wagner photo.
A view showing the construction of a bridge at Everets in 1962. Notice Martin’s store at its original location prior to demolishment.
Alton Wagner photo


Looking east at view of road building at Everets for Western Branch reservoir in 1962. Buildings in background are Kirk Lumber Company truck shelter, Kirk garage and J. R. Kirk home (hidden in trees).

Pipes between Kirk mill pond and Western Branch reservoir dislodged by higher water in Kirk pond at Everets - c1963
Alton Wagner photo




Arlie Griffin home on Everets Road

Christian Home Schoolhouse Museum in Smithfield. Originally located across from Christian Home Baptist Church on Longview Drive in Isle of Wight County near Everets.

Alton Wagner’s mechanic shop at Kirk Lumber Company before being flooded - 1950s
Alton Wagner photo

Water reservoir behind Kirk Lumber Compony boiler room. Notice stem in rear. 1950s
Alton Wagner photo


Cargill Family at St. John’s Episcopal Church when John Cargill was recognized for years of service to the church.


John Cargill receiving recognition for years of service to St. John’s Episcopal Church.
L. Rose photo



Minton House in Everets img051.jpg






































































































































